Mensa, the high IQ society, welcomes people from every walk of life with IQs in the top 2 percent of the population. The organization's purposes are to identify and foster human intelligence for the benefit of humanity, to encourage research in the nature, characteristics and uses of intelligence, and to promote stimulating intellectual and social opportunities for its members. It provides a forum for intellectual exchange among its members, who enjoy each other's company while participating in a wide range of social and cultural activities.
Mensa was founded in England in 1946 by Roland Berrill, a barrister, and Dr. Lance Ware, a scientist and lawyer. They decided to form a society for bright people, the only qualification for membership being a high IQ. The original aims were to create a society that is non-political and free from racial or religious distinctions. Mensa Canada was created in Montreal, Quebec in 1967.
Today, Mensa has approximately 115,000 members in 100 countries and recognized national groups in over 40.
To join, individuals must provide evidence of qualifying IQ test scores. Mensa Canada provides proctored testing in many locations across Canada. Results from certain other standardized tests may also be accepted.
- March 13, 2016 – The annual literary contest for members is back for another year. Check out the full contest rules, and send those poems and short stories in by May 23rd!
- March 1, 2016 – Watch Les francs-tireurs' interview with Sylvie Ouellette (president, Mensa Montréal), Patrick Baby (former president, Mensa Montréal) and Marc Forand (member, Mensa Montréal) on what it means to be gifted.
- February 24, 2016 – Interested in attending a Mini-Regional Gathering in Portland, Maine? Here's the registration form
- February 9, 2016 – The Mensa International Photographer of the year could be YOU! Let your imagination run wild.
- February 1, 2016 – Members are invited to join the fun at Southeast Michigan Mensa's RG, April 15-17, 2016.
- January 13, 2016 – The 2016 Leadership Exchange Ambassador Program (LEAP) will be accepting applications beginning January 15 and ending March 15, 2016.
- January 11, 2016 – Mensa.org - after reviewing many of our events, upcoming tests and gatherings in 2016, it's recommended to everyone that their international mensa.org username is properly setup/registered. Registration is easy for Canadian members, set up your account here.
- January 11, 2016 – HIQORA and their World Championship highIQ test for the world's brightest, gifted minds, invites you to take part for free! Find your free entry code in our January MC2 under "Board Shorts", good luck!
- January 11, 2016 – Happy New Year, Mensa Canada! Our upcoming events page was updated, why not leap over and take a look?
Are you Mensa material?
Are you wondering if you've got what it takes to join Mensa? Check out fun apps like the Mensa Brain Test and Mensa Academy for mind-stretching fun! Read about how to join, and when you're ready, arrange to take the test in a community near you.
Membership has its perks!
In our effort to be more efficient, economical and green, we are offering a rebate of $10.00 per year for those of you who choose to receive MC2 electronically. Just check off the "MC2 in electronic form only" box at the bottom of the online renewal form. If you're using a paper form to renew, please contact the office.