Mensa, the high IQ society, welcomes people from every walk of life with IQs in the top 2 percent of the population. The organization's purposes are to identify and foster human intelligence for the benefit of humanity, to encourage research in the nature, characteristics and uses of intelligence, and to promote stimulating intellectual and social opportunities for its members. It provides a forum for intellectual exchange among its members, who enjoy each other's company while participating in a wide range of social and cultural activities.
Mensa was founded in England in 1946 by Roland Berrill, a barrister, and Dr. Lance Ware, a scientist and lawyer. They decided to form a society for bright people, the only qualification for membership being a high IQ. The original aims were to create a society that is non-political and free from racial or religious distinctions. Mensa Canada was created in Montreal, Quebec in 1967.
Today, Mensa has approximately 115,000 members in 100 countries and recognized national groups in over 40.
To join, individuals must provide evidence of qualifying IQ test scores. Mensa Canada provides proctored testing in many locations across Canada. Results from certain other standardized tests may also be accepted.
- June 24, 2015 – News from Mensa France! The largest French gathering (275 participants in 2014), is opened for the first time to francophones worldwide. You are invited to this popular national event from July 25th to August 1st. Participate in activities ranging from lectures, rallies, kids' activities to sporting and musical shows. It's a French-speaking event. More details via this PDF.
- June 04, 2015 – The 2015 survey is underway! Current members are asked to check their email for an invitation to make their voices heard. If you haven't received an invitation or are having difficulty, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- June 03, 2015 – Congratulations to Katherine Vrantsidis, recipient of a 2015 Mensa International Scholarship!
- June 02, 2015 – The deadline is fast approaching for submissions to the annual literary contest. Entries must be received by July 1st.
- February 26, 2015 – Welcome aboard to our new president, Calgary's Vicki Herd!
- January 24, 2015 – Calling all photographers! The 2015 photo competition is accepting entries until July 31st.
- January 16, 2015 – Have you registered for the 2015 Annual Gathering yet? Two weeks left until ticket prices go up!
- January 1, 2015 – The Holiday Special Offer has been so popular, it's now extended through to the end of January. Happy new year!
- November 28, 2014 – The annual Holiday Special Offer is back! Save the assessment fee if you join in December 2014 using scores from previous testing.
- November 12, 2014 – The AG is coming to Vancouver July 31 - August 3 2015! Get the latest updates on speakers, events and other Mensan fun at ag2015.mensacanada.org or Facebook. Early registration is now open. Please support us and register early. Hope to see you there!
- October 15, 2014 – Mensa Italia invites members of Mensa Canada to join their Cortina 2015 Ski Weekend. For more details, check the Upcoming Events page in the members area.
- September 5, 2014 – Distinguished Educator Award presented to volunteers at Kitchener's Idea Exchange. Congratulations!
- September 3, 2014 – The annual Friends & Family Testing Event is back for 2014!
- September 1, 2014 – See the gorgeous winning entries in the 2014 Mensa Canada Photo Competition.
- July 4, 2014 – Dave Smith becomes first person ever to win two international awards from the Mensa Education & Research Foundation. Coverage and backgrounders on the In The Media page. CONGRATULATIONS, DAVE!
- July 3, 2014 – 2014 Canada-USA Joint AG in Boston is officially the largest-ever gathering of Mensans
Are you Mensa material?
Are you wondering if you've got what it takes to join Mensa? Check out fun apps like the Mensa Brain Test and Mensa Academy for mind-stretching fun! Read about how to join, and when you're ready, arrange to take the test in a community near you.
Membership has its perks!
We are pleased to announce an offer from CAA available exclusively to Mensa Canada members - CAA Plus Associate coverage is available at the discounted rate of $70 for any Mensa Canada members joining CAA for the first time. New CAA Plus Primary memberships will be reduced to $99 for Mensa members. Along with emergency roadside assistance, all CAA members also save money on hotels, motels, retail outlets, travel packages and vacation destinations!
In our effort to be more efficient, economical and green, we are offering a rebate of $10.00 per year for those of you who choose to receive MC2 electronically. Just check off the "MC2 in electronic form only" box at the bottom of the online renewal form. If you're using a paper form to renew, please contact the office.