Mensa, the high IQ society, welcomes people from every walk of life with IQs in the top 2 percent of the population. The organization’s purposes are to identify and foster human intelligence for the benefit of humanity, to encourage research in the nature, characteristics and uses of intelligence, and to promote stimulating intellectual and social opportunities for its members. It provides a forum for intellectual exchange among its members, who enjoy each other’s company while participating in a wide range of social and cultural activities.
Mensa was founded in England in 1946 by Roland Berrill, a barrister, and Dr. Lance Ware, a scientist and lawyer. They decided to form a society for bright people, the only qualification for membership being a high IQ. The original aims were to create a society that is non-political and free from racial or religious distinctions. Mensa Canada was created in Montreal, Quebec in 1967.
Today, Mensa has approximately 115,000 members in 100 countries and recognized national groups in over 40.
To join, individuals must provide evidence of qualifying IQ test scores. Mensa Canada provides proctored testing in many locations across Canada. Results from certain other standardized tests may also be accepted.
- November 12, 2014 – The AG is coming to Vancouver July 31 – August 3 2015! Get the latest updates on speakers, events and other Mensan fun at ag2015.mensacanada.org or Facebook. Early registration is now open. Please support us and register early. Hope to see you there!
- October 15, 2014 – Mensa Italia invites members of Mensa Canada to join their Cortina 2015 Ski Weekend. For more details, check the Upcoming Events page in the members area.
- September 5, 2014 – Distinguished Educator Award presented to volunteers at Kitchener’s Idea Exchange. Congratulations!
- September 3, 2014 – The annual Friends & Family Testing Event is back for 2014!
- September 1, 2014 – See the gorgeous winning entries in the 2014 Mensa Canada Photo Competition.
- July 4, 2014 – Dave Smith becomes first person ever to win two international awards from the Mensa Education & Research Foundation. Coverage and backgrounders on the In The Media page. CONGRATULATIONS, DAVE!
- July 3, 2014 – 2014 Canada-USA Joint AG in Boston is officially the largest-ever gathering of Mensans
- June 8, 2014 – Members-only backstage tour of the Canadian Canoe Museum on June 21, 2014
- April 9, 2014 – Vancouver RG to be held August 1-4, 2014 (Facebook page)
- March 30, 2014 – Distinguished Educator Award nomination deadline extended to May 1
- March 5, 2014 – New special interest groups (SIGs) for young members announced
- February 26, 2014 – 2014 photo competition announced
- February 19, 2014 – Social Media Team has room for more members
Are you Mensa material?
Membership has its perks!
We are pleased to announce an offer from CAA available exclusively to Mensa Canada members – CAA Plus Associate coverage is available at the discounted rate of $70 for any Mensa Canada members joining CAA for the first time. New CAA Plus Primary memberships will be reduced to $99 for Mensa members. Along with emergency roadside assistance, all CAA members also save money on hotels, motels, retail outlets, travel packages and vacation destinations!
In our effort to be more efficient, economical and green, we are offering a rebate of $10.00 per year for those of you who will take MC2 electronically. We are working on the most efficient and effective way to provide the rebate to each member and hope to have a system in place shortly. We know who is taking MC2 electronically and we will let everyone know what the rebate process will be going forward and how we will provide rebates to those who are already receiving MC2 electronically.